THE canker sores are small ulcerations of the mouth, round or oval, with clear edges. Their yellowish background is surrounded by a red border which indicates inflammation. Neither infectious nor contagious, they cause an unpleasant burning sensation for at least 5 days. They heal spontaneously in around ten days but certain gentle solutions can relieve the pain more quickly.
Where can a canker sore be located? (tongue, gum, lip, palate, cheek…)
Inside the mouth, canker sores are frequently found on the inside of the cheeks, the labial mucosa, the tongue and the soft palate. Their appearance can cause significant discomfort when chewing, speaking and even swallowing. Canker sores can also arise near the gums, where they can cause an unpleasant burning sensation.
It is also not uncommon to see cases of canker sores on the lips, particularly near the corners of the lips. These canker sores can be particularly painful, sometimes making it difficult to open your mouth or eat hot or spicy foods or drinks.
Healing a canker sore with probiotics
By creating a better microbiotic environment in the mouth, probiotics, particularly Lactobacillus paracasei, prevent pathogens from adhering to the gum and canker sores. The result is a reduction in inflammation, better restoration of the biofilm on the mucosa and an effective means of combating recurrence.
How to use them?
- As a cure: a tablet or sachet containing one or more strains of probiotics 3 times a day, after brushing your teeth.
- Prevention : 1 tablet per day.
Licorice and sage to relieve a canker sore
Licorice rhizome extract is well endowed with glycyrrhizin, with powerful anti-inflammatory (corticosteroid type), healing and antiviral properties. It is also a source of polysaccharides, with immunostimulating action, and glabridin (flavonoids), with healing, anti-ulcer and anti-inflammatory properties. As for sage, it contains a lot of tannins (including rosmarinic acid), with astringent, decongestant and healing properties, as well as flavonoids (particularly luteolin and apigenol), which are anti-inflammatory.
Use as a mouthwash
Have your pharmacist prepare an EPS (dry plant extract) of clary sage and licorice, in equal parts. Dilute 1 teaspoon (5 ml) in a glass of water and make a mouthwash. You can also prepare your own mouthwash by infusing 1 tablespoon of sage leaves in 25 cl of hot water for 10 minutes. Let it cool before using a mouthwash several times a day.
In addition, soak a cotton swab and apply it directly to the canker sore, 3 times a day.
Clove essential oil against canker sores
Antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, clove essential oil acts on pain and skin infection. In addition, it is healing.
Getting rid of a canker sore: 2 recipes that will take you less than 5 minutes
- For local application: in 5 drops of argan vegetable oil (moisturizing and soothing), put 1 drop of clove essential oil (EO), 1 drop of niaouli EO and 2 drops of lavender aspic EO; apply with a cotton stick, morning, noon and evening, until the ulcerations disappear.
- For a mouthwash: 2 drops of clove EO and 3 drops of disper (dispersant). Pour the mixture into half a glass of hot water and gargle with this mixture, 2 or 3 times a day.
Extra advice : in case of canker sore, it is recommended to avoid alcohol, fatty foods, tobacco and spicy flavors.
The duo of essential oils of noble laurel and peppermint
Rich in eugenol, noble laurel essential oil is appreciated for its analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also well equipped with 1,8-cineole and linalool with antibacterial, anti-infectious, anti-necrosis and antiviral properties. As for peppermint essential oil, it is a source of menthol (up to 50%), with healing, anti-inflammatory and above all anesthetic properties.
How to use this grandmother’s remedy?
In local application: for increased effectiveness, pour a drop of each essential oil onto a cotton swab and dab the canker sore, 4 to 6 times a day, just before eating, for 5 to 8 days, while it heals.
Good to know : other essential oils, such as tea tree EO or lavender EO can help combat the appearance of canker sores, due to their antiseptic and healing properties.
Treatment of a canker sore with baking soda
Thanks to its healing, antiseptic and pain-relieving properties, baking soda disinfects and neutralizes acidity. It therefore constitutes a radical treatment against canker sores.
Use as a mouthwash
Pour 2 teaspoons of baking soda into a large glass of water. Rinse your mouth with this solution for a few minutes after brushing your teeth, 2 or 3 times a day.
Extra advice: good oral hygiene is essential. Preferably use a soft toothbrush so as not to hurt your mouth.
Propolis, to treat a canker sore naturally
Propolis is a set of resinous, gummy and balsamic substances collected by bees from the buds of certain plants. This resin is used to ensure the sealing and asepsis of the hive. Its richness lies in the multitude of its components (more than 400): flavonoids (antioxidants), essential oils, but also trace elements (zinc, silica, iron), amino acids… which make it a substance with many benefits. . It is anti-inflammatory, healing, antiseptic, anesthetic, purifying. An excellent natural remedy!
How to use this natural remedy?
- Chew a bar of purified propolis, and keep it in your mouth for as long as possible, before swallowing or throwing it away.
- Apply the oily propolis solution to the canker sore, then gently massage the ulcerations.
- Make a mouthwash, 2 or 3 times a day, with the same propolis solution mixed with a little hot water.
Among other hive products, honey can also help speed up the healing of canker sores. Raw honey, especially manuka honey, is often recommended due to its more powerful antimicrobial properties. Scoop out a small amount of honey with a cotton swab or your clean finger. Apply honey directly to the canker sore, without rubbing, so as not to further irritate the lesion. Leave the honey on for a few minutes, then rinse gently with lukewarm water. Repeat this procedure several times a day, preferably after meals.
Extra advice : in case of mouth ulcer, favor raw, cooked or mixed peeled fruits and vegetables (puree, compote, etc.).
In video: 5 foods to avoid when you have mouth ulcers
Homeopathy takes into account the way in which the symptoms are expressed in the patient, unlike allopathy, which makes it possible to offer a treatment adapted to each situation. The substances used are highly diluted and do not cause side effects.
Which ones to favor for each situation?
- Canker sore is located inside the cheeks, it is white and painful: Borax 5 CH, 5 granules, 3 times a day.
- It is cracked, painful, very sensitive to heat: Borax 5 CH and Nitricum acidum 5 CH, 5 granules of each, 3 times a day.
- It is white, accompanied by hypersalivation and bad breath: Mercurius solubilis 5 CH, 5 granules, 3 times a day.
- Canker sores are more painful at night and the mouth is dark red: Lachesis 5 CH, 5 granules, 3 times a day.
Additional advice : eliminate certain foods: dried or acidic fruits, spices, gruyere, tomatoes, citrus fruits, pineapple, strawberries, kiwisnut.
Canker sore: when to consult a doctor?
Consulting a doctor is recommended in several specific situations, particularly in the case of a giant canker sore, which is particularly painful or of unusual duration. Here is a quick summary of the times when it is a good idea to contact a healthcare professional:
- Recurrent or recurring mouth ulcers : If these lesions reappear regularly, for example several times a month, this may indicate an underlying problem that requires further evaluation by a doctor.
- Large canker sores : if it measures more than one centimeter in diameter or seems abnormally deep.
- Unusual duration : if a canker sore persists beyond one to two weeks or if it worsens over time.
- Appearance of associated symptomssuch as fever, fatigue, swollen lymph nodes, joint pain, or if you have other unusual symptoms.
- Severe discomfort : when the pain caused by a canker sore is intolerable and cannot be relieved with self-care measures, the caregiver may prescribe more appropriate treatments (oral or topical analgesic, antiseptic mouthwash, etc.).
- Canker sores in children : Children who develop severe or frequent canker sores should be examined by a doctor to make sure there are no underlying health problems.
- Canker sores: 4 home remedies to relieve them
- Canker sores: treat them with herbal medicine
- How to treat a canker sore naturally?