Electric bicycles are becoming more and more popular. This is partly due to the pedal assistance of up to 25 kilometers per hour. You pedal more easily and can move faster from point A to point B.
A battery is required for pedal assistance. These batteries are subject to strict standards to ensure safety.
Despite these high safety standards, it is still possible for a battery to fail. It is very rare for a battery to catch on fire. In most cases, fire in the battery is caused by incorrect use. Think of high or low temperatures of the battery or the use of incorrect charging adapters.
In this article you can read tips to charge your battery in the right way and to prevent fire in your battery.
Charging your battery the right way
Follow charging advice
Have you purchased an electric bicycle? Then you will receive charging advice about the use of your battery. Follow the charging advice at all times. For example, do not charge your battery in a dry environment or a place where it is too hot or too cold. The ideal temperatures for your battery are between 10 and 25 degrees. Charging without supervision is also not recommended. So always stay nearby when your battery is on the charger.
Do you want to know more about the electric bicycle? The Cortina E-U1 N3 2022 is one of the favorites of Fietsvoordeelshop.nl. Would you rather read up before you buy an electric bicycle? Then take a look at the article ‘electric bicycle’
Use unique charger
If you have purchased an electric bicycle, you will always receive a unique charger for your battery. Never buy chargers that are not certified. Do you have multiple chargers at home to charge your battery? Then give these chargers a color to prevent you from using the wrong charger.
Other tips to prevent fire in your battery
Read below the most important tips to prevent fire in your battery:
- Charging is best done near a smoke detector, away from flammable materials;
- Charge your battery during the day and not at night. Make sure that you can always act in the event of a fire in your battery;
- Avoid direct sun contact while charging;
- Remove the charger immediately from the socket as soon as your battery is 100% charged;
- Did your battery fall or have you had an accident? Then make sure that a bicycle specialist checks your battery before you go on a bike ride;
- Perhaps the most important: follow the various directions in the unique user manual that comes with your e-bike. Read the loading instructions!
Would you like to know more about the battery of an electric bicycle? Read it in the article ‘how does a battery work?’