In France, if you are looking for a fuel that is significantly cheaper than gasoline or diesel, two major alternatives are available to you: superethanol E85 or liquefied petroleum gas (LPG). Each of these two choices has its advantages and disadvantages, which L’argus invites you to discover.
Page 1Two different but comparable fuels
On paper, ethanol and LPG are two very different fuels. One is a mixture of unleaded gasoline with up to 85% alcohol from the fermentation of sugars and starch contained in sugar beets, cereals and their processing residues: it is bioethanol E85. The other is a mix of propane and butane in liquid form, 40% from petroleum refining and the remaining 60% from the extraction of natural gas: it is liquefied petroleum gas, alias LPG. But there is one point on which these two agree is their ability to save money for motorists.
Considered “cleaner” than petrol and diesel, they both benefit from reduced taxes, synonymous with prices below €1/l at the pump. What largely compensate for the overconsumption that these two alternative fuels generate. Both also allow you to benefit from a free or half cheaper gray card in most French regions, except for the overseas territories and the Grand Est. While it is even possible to park for free in some cities by asking for a specific disc, green in color. It remains to weigh the pros and cons to choose between LPG and E85.