Things happen in our brain when we fall asleep! It is indeed the privileged moment during which the brain cells “clean” the brain of all the waste and toxins accumulated during the day. “In fact this cleaning work requires such an expenditure of energy on the part of the brain that it could not take place while we are awake. We would then not have enough energy to articulate our thoughts properly” explain the American researchers who made this discovery. And this great nocturnal cleansing is not trivial since it would also allow us to protect us from neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease.
Simple tips for better sleep
- Eliminate the waves (we turn off the wifi box every night), because they disrupt hormonal secretions and thus interfere with sleep.
- Avoid synthetic nightwear which makes you sweat and can cause irritation and / or nighttime awakenings.
- Give preference to a memory foam mattress and pillow that offer superior comfort.
- Favor perfectly dark environments (closed shutters, no light) so as not to alter the secretion of melatonin which regulates sleep cycles.
- Stop screens (including the TV) at least 20 minutes before bedtime, because visual and sound requests keep the brain awake.
In video: the chiropractor’s advice for sleeping well
Read also :
- What a lack of sleep does to your body
- 5 plants that help you sleep without sleeping pills
- 13 grandmother’s remedies to get you to sleep
- What is the perfect dinner for a good night’s sleep